Take Action: Fed IACC Autism committee is corrupt, Wastes money, Members oppose finding a cure
One click - and the letter below is sent to your legislators. Please take a few moments today to let your elected officials in Washington, DC know the ugly truth about the massive waste of taxpayer dollars by the federal Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC) thatâ€™s more interested in covering up the causes of autism than in finding them.
We saw for ourselves, firsthand what a farce the IACC has become. But unless we get messages to legislators IN LARGE NUMBERS, nothing will change in Washington.
Please click on the Take Action Link to the letter below to your two US Senators and your member of the House of Representatives. Please share this message with friends and family and please post to Facebook and other social networks. The letter:
On July 10, HHS Secretary Sebelius effectively turned the Combating Autism Act into the â€śAccepting Autism Act.â€ť In her speech to the autism community, she made no mention of prevention, recovery, cure or in any way ending autism.
Yesterday, the first meeting of the year was held by the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee, and autism families were there to confront Tom Insel and Kathleen Sebelius in person on their failures in the federal response to the autism epidemic. Canary members held a silent protest when Kathleen Sebelius completed her remarks to the committee and several members spoke directly to Dr. Insel and the committee during public comments.
Mark Blaxill's written statement to the committee can be read on Age of Autism.
The full discussion on the problematic staffing of the IACC that Tom Insel referred to as IACC 3.0 can be found here:
The U.S. government has again failed at autism treatment and prevention, says a coalition of autism advocates representing tens of thousands of families.
â€ś$1 billion has been wasted over six years, with nothing to show taxpayers but a doubled autism rate,â€ť said Ginger Taylor of the Canary Party, a health advocacy group representing victims of man-made epidemics of chronic illness. â€śThis public health disaster is devastating a generation of children, while government agencies and journalists have merely been ineffective, they have been obstructionists to the treatment and prevention of autism.â€ť
Autism advocates will gather on Tuesday, July 10 starting at 8 a.m. in front of the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, 408 L'Enfant Plaza SW in Washington, DC, to attend the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee which is holding the first meeting of its new members. Several advocates plan to offer their protest over failed government policy during public comment. Four IACC members have publicly stated they do not believe autism should be prevented or medically treated.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is expected to make opening remarks.
The autism rate has increased to 1 in 88, though that figure is for 8-year-olds born in 2000.
In 2006 Congress passed the Combating Autism Act, giving the federal government almost a billion dollars to find ways to prevent and treat autism. Thomas Insel, head of the National Institute for Mental Health, was appointed to lead the IACC to coordinate that effort.
However, The Canary Party asserts that:
â€˘ Insel failed to produce a medical intervention or recommendation to treat or prevent autism.
â€˘ Insel stripped vaccine research out of the autism research agenda.
â€˘ Tens of thousands of reports of autistic childrenâ€™s improvements and recoveries via biomedical intervention have gone uninvestigated.
Autism advocates have written a detailed critique of the failings of the IACC, its members and Tom Insel. â€śThe authentic autism community had nominated many highly educated, well-respected researchers, doctors and advocates to be on the IACC committee,â€ť said Melissa Christopher of the Canary Party. â€śThe IACC as currently constituted is irrelevant, and has no right to waste taxpayer dollars and childrenâ€™s lives while pretending to lead.â€ť
The IACC has announced that public comments will start around 1 p.m. Eastern time, though the schedule is subject to change based on the needs of the committee. IACC meeting details are here:
Following the public comments to the IACC, autism advocates will then be holding a press conference to respond.
â€śJournalists should be asking Kathleen Sebelius where that $1 billion went, and who benefited from those diverted funds,â€ť said Melissa Christopher of the Canary Party. â€śThat money could have directly benefited so many struggling autism families who have lost income and suffer with financially devastating expenses."
"Without honest, productive government leadership very soon, the autism epidemic will sink this country.â€ť
The IACC is failing the autism community. Join us in protest on July 10th!!
On Tuesday, July10th at 9am, the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee will be holding the first meeting of the newly empaneled members. The Autism community will be showing up to let them know that their actions have been wholly unsatisfactory.
in 2006, Congress passed the Combating Autism Act, giving the federal government almost a billion dollars to find ways to prevent and treat autism. The head of NIMH, Thomas Insel, was appointed to lead the IACC in coordinating that effort.
Six years and almost a billion dollars later, Insel has not only failed to produce even one medical intervention or recommendation to prevent or treat autism, the autism rate has DOUBLED on his watch. Tens of thousands of reports of improvements and recoveries via biomedical intervention have been ignored and gone uninvestigated. He broke federal committee rules to strip vaccine research out of the autism research agenda. Every year the complaints of Insel's malfeasance have become louder and louder in the autism community.
His abuse of his position came to fruition this past April when he announced the new members of the IACC. The authentic autism community that is seeking to bring an end to the autism epidemic had nominated well respected researchers, doctors and advocates with impressive histories and large followings, however Insel ignored every one of the nominations, and instead seated a panel consisting of purely political appointees, four of who publicly state that they do not believe that autism should be prevented or medically treated.
That was when we reached our breaking point. A coalition of advocacy groups representing tens of thousands of families held a press conference and demanded that Insel be fired, that the current mockery of a an IACC panel be disbanded, and that HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius meet with leaders of the coalition to chart a path forward to actually address the autism epidemic.
The only response that we received was what amounts to a form letter signed by NIH chief Francis Collins, that was clearly written by a staffer, and that did not address any of the points made to Secretary Sebelius.
We have had enough.
Join us for a demonstration of our concern over a public health disaster that is devastating a generation of children.
July 10th, 9:00am L'Enfant Plaza Hotel 408 L'Enfant Plaza, SW Washington, DC 20024 Map and Directions
We will be demonstrating our concern to the new committee and letting them know that that we believe that the IACC as currently constituted has lost its legitimacy and its right to lead during their public comments portion of the meeting mid day, followed by a gathering in front of the Department of Health and Human Services in the afternoon
We strongly encourage you to give your own public comments. The procedure is as follows: Notification of intent to present oral comments: July 3th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Submission of written/electronic statement for oral comments: July 5th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Submission of written comments: July 5th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern
1. Violates a parentâ€™s and patientâ€™s rights under the Nuremberg Code, the First Amendment, and the Constitution, and it threatens, and in some cases denies, the right to receive an education.
2. The state has no authority to restrict or eliminate a parentâ€™s right to exempt their child from one or more vaccines, or from any other medical procedure. This bill oversteps the authority of the state.
3. This bill is unnecessary as pertinent Federal Law already exists. The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act requires that a doctor thoroughly discuss the risks and benefits of each and every vaccine, specific to each patient.
4. The Supreme Court has legally defined vaccines as â€śunavoidably unsafe.â€ť Each vaccine contains known neurotoxins, and each vaccine carries with it numerous risks, including grave injury and death. Only the individual can make these risk-versus-benefit decisions. No one is authorized to coerce or require people to participate in medical procedures or medical experiments. It is common practice to regard vaccines as benign and trivial, when in fact, they are serious medical procedures that carry serious risks.
5. AB 2109 is not a bill that the citizens of CA requested. It is a self-serving trade-industry-sponsored bill with the markings of corporate influence, pharmaceutical funding, and medical professionals wanting to increase their profits through undue influence and coercion.
6. This bill will have a negative impact on our already-struggling schools. This will be one more mandate that schools will be required to implement and enforce, versus focusing on educating students. It will cost schools money in terms of implementation and enforcement, student absenteeism, and potential lawsuits by parents of students who are refused entry.
7. This bill will not change anything. It wonâ€™t change parentsâ€™ minds who have researched vaccines and who have already decided to file an exemption. It wonâ€™t change the rates of infectious diseases, as the author and sponsors of the bill readily admit that we are well above the rates that they claim are needed to achieve what they call â€śherd immunity.â€ť All it will do is cost the state money and create increased cynicism, anger, and resentment among parents toward legislators, doctors, and schools. This bill will call further into question the integrity of our nationâ€™s entire vaccine program.
8. The state of CA is in financial crisis. This is not a good use of our legislatorsâ€™ time, nor of taxpayersâ€™ money. Implementing this will force the reduction of needed services and programs. It will also open the state up to related lawsuits.
9. Without an easy-to-access exemption, consumers cannot protect themselves from known problems with vaccine mandates. Vaccines are portrayed as, and widely accepted as, safe and effective. A cursory look into vaccines will show that those assumptions are not valid or correct. Since vaccines have proven to be dangerous, even deadly, and since they have often proven to be ineffective, it should be made as easy as possible for a parent to exercise their right to exempt their child from any and all vaccines as they see fit, without government interference, obstacles, harassment, or coercion.
10. The author and sponsors of this bill refuse to require that a doctor must sign the form if a parent pays for the â€ścounseling.â€ť They also refuse to elaborate on and specify what this â€ścounselingâ€ť will include. Therefore, there is rightful suspicion that doctors will not only refuse to sign these forms, but that they will embellish the â€śbenefitsâ€ť of vaccines while not adequately or accurately discussing the serious risks of vaccines.
Despite the many
worthwhile autism charities desperately in need of funding, Mitsubishi Electric
America Foundation (MEAF) has chosen to fund one that:
all efforts to cure or prevent autism, denies an increase in autism prevalence
and now seeks to promote this form of â€śactivismâ€ť among college students
2)blatantly violates MEAFâ€™s own stated
guideline: â€śWe do not fund
organizations or programs connected with a controversial social or political
issue.â€ť MEAF is funding a â€śneurodiversityâ€ť initiative by ASAN (Autism Self
Advocacy Network) â€“ highy controversial
in the autism community. According to ASAN, â€śThe
training is meant to prepare students to engage in self-advocacy and pro-neurodiversity
activism on their college campuses.â€ť
3)promotes â€śself-diagnosisâ€ť of autism,
causing students who may have the disorder to not qualify for college disability support services and national
testing service accommodations, thus diminishing, not â€śenhancingâ€ť chances for
academic success and future employment.
â€śSelf-diagnosisâ€ť (without medical confirmation) of any disability,
disease or disorder is an irresponsible practice and should not receive
4)does not promote â€śfull inclusion of
people with disabilities alongside their peers without disabilities,â€ť as called
for in Mitsubishi guidelines, but promotes segregation of people with
disabilities in extracurricular activities.
Please see the Canary Party Action Alert below and participate! Weâ€™re all affected by the autism epidemic and
by those who deny it exists and promote irresponsible practices.
The Canary Party is a movement created to stand up for the victims of medical injury, environmental toxins and industrial foods by restoring balance to our free and civil society and empowering consumers to make health and nutrition decisions that promote wellness.
â€śIf the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.â€ť -Thomas Jefferson