The U.S. government has again failed at autism treatment and prevention, says a coalition of autism advocates representing tens of thousands of families.
â€ś$1 billion has been wasted over six years, with nothing to show taxpayers but a doubled autism rate,â€ť said Ginger Taylor of the Canary Party, a health advocacy group representing victims of man-made epidemics of chronic illness. â€śThis public health disaster is devastating a generation of children, while government agencies and journalists have merely been ineffective, they have been obstructionists to the treatment and prevention of autism.â€ť
Autism advocates will gather on Tuesday, July 10 starting at 8 a.m. in front of the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, 408 L'Enfant Plaza SW in Washington, DC, to attend the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee which is holding the first meeting of its new members. Several advocates plan to offer their protest over failed government policy during public comment. Four IACC members have publicly stated they do not believe autism should be prevented or medically treated.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is expected to make opening remarks.
The autism rate has increased to 1 in 88, though that figure is for 8-year-olds born in 2000.
In 2006 Congress passed the Combating Autism Act, giving the federal government almost a billion dollars to find ways to prevent and treat autism. Thomas Insel, head of the National Institute for Mental Health, was appointed to lead the IACC to coordinate that effort.
However, The Canary Party asserts that:
â€˘ Insel failed to produce a medical intervention or recommendation to treat or prevent autism.
â€˘ Insel stripped vaccine research out of the autism research agenda.
â€˘ Tens of thousands of reports of autistic childrenâ€™s improvements and recoveries via biomedical intervention have gone uninvestigated.
Autism advocates have written a detailed critique of the failings of the IACC, its members and Tom Insel. â€śThe authentic autism community had nominated many highly educated, well-respected researchers, doctors and advocates to be on the IACC committee,â€ť said Melissa Christopher of the Canary Party. â€śThe IACC as currently constituted is irrelevant, and has no right to waste taxpayer dollars and childrenâ€™s lives while pretending to lead.â€ť
The IACC has announced that public comments will start around 1 p.m. Eastern time, though the schedule is subject to change based on the needs of the committee. IACC meeting details are here:
Following the public comments to the IACC, autism advocates will then be holding a press conference to respond.
â€śJournalists should be asking Kathleen Sebelius where that $1 billion went, and who benefited from those diverted funds,â€ť said Melissa Christopher of the Canary Party. â€śThat money could have directly benefited so many struggling autism families who have lost income and suffer with financially devastating expenses."
"Without honest, productive government leadership very soon, the autism epidemic will sink this country.â€ť
The IACC is failing the autism community. Join us in protest on July 10th!!
On Tuesday, July10th at 9am, the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee will be holding the first meeting of the newly empaneled members. The Autism community will be showing up to let them know that their actions have been wholly unsatisfactory.
in 2006, Congress passed the Combating Autism Act, giving the federal government almost a billion dollars to find ways to prevent and treat autism. The head of NIMH, Thomas Insel, was appointed to lead the IACC in coordinating that effort.
Six years and almost a billion dollars later, Insel has not only failed to produce even one medical intervention or recommendation to prevent or treat autism, the autism rate has DOUBLED on his watch. Tens of thousands of reports of improvements and recoveries via biomedical intervention have been ignored and gone uninvestigated. He broke federal committee rules to strip vaccine research out of the autism research agenda. Every year the complaints of Insel's malfeasance have become louder and louder in the autism community.
His abuse of his position came to fruition this past April when he announced the new members of the IACC. The authentic autism community that is seeking to bring an end to the autism epidemic had nominated well respected researchers, doctors and advocates with impressive histories and large followings, however Insel ignored every one of the nominations, and instead seated a panel consisting of purely political appointees, four of who publicly state that they do not believe that autism should be prevented or medically treated.
That was when we reached our breaking point. A coalition of advocacy groups representing tens of thousands of families held a press conference and demanded that Insel be fired, that the current mockery of a an IACC panel be disbanded, and that HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius meet with leaders of the coalition to chart a path forward to actually address the autism epidemic.
The only response that we received was what amounts to a form letter signed by NIH chief Francis Collins, that was clearly written by a staffer, and that did not address any of the points made to Secretary Sebelius.
We have had enough.
Join us for a demonstration of our concern over a public health disaster that is devastating a generation of children.
July 10th, 9:00am
L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
408 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20024
Map and Directions
We will be demonstrating our concern to the new committee and letting them know that that we believe that the IACC as currently constituted has lost its legitimacy and its right to lead during their public comments portion of the meeting mid day, followed by a gathering in front of the Department of Health and Human Services in the afternoon
We strongly encourage you to give your own public comments. The procedure is as follows:
Notification of intent to present oral comments: July 3th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern
Submission of written/electronic statement for oral comments: July 5th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern
Submission of written comments: July 5th by 5:00 p.m. Eastern
Send notifications to:
Ms. Lina Perez
Office of Autism Research Coordination
National Institute of Mental Health, NIH
6001 Executive Boulevard, NSC
Rockville, Maryland 20892-9669
Phone: (301) 443-6040
Details on the IACC meeting can be found here:
More details coming soon.
Top 10 Reasons to Oppose California AB2109
Written by The Canary Party
Wednesday, 20 June 2012 17:31
1. Violates a parentâ€™s and patientâ€™s rights under the Nuremberg Code, the First Amendment, and the Constitution, and it threatens, and in some cases denies, the right to receive an education.
2. The state has no authority to restrict or eliminate a parentâ€™s right to exempt their child from one or more vaccines, or from any other medical procedure. This bill oversteps the authority of the state.
3. This bill is unnecessary as pertinent Federal Law already exists. The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act requires that a doctor thoroughly discuss the risks and benefits of each and every vaccine, specific to each patient.
4. The Supreme Court has legally defined vaccines as â€śunavoidably unsafe.â€ť Each vaccine contains known neurotoxins, and each vaccine carries with it numerous risks, including grave injury and death. Only the individual can make these risk-versus-benefit decisions. No one is authorized to coerce or require people to participate in medical procedures or medical experiments. It is common practice to regard vaccines as benign and trivial, when in fact, they are serious medical procedures that carry serious risks.
5. AB 2109 is not a bill that the citizens of CA requested. It is a self-serving trade-industry-sponsored bill with the markings of corporate influence, pharmaceutical funding, and medical professionals wanting to increase their profits through undue influence and coercion.
6. This bill will have a negative impact on our already-struggling schools. This will be one more mandate that schools will be required to implement and enforce, versus focusing on educating students. It will cost schools money in terms of implementation and enforcement, student absenteeism, and potential lawsuits by parents of students who are refused entry.
7. This bill will not change anything. It wonâ€™t change parentsâ€™ minds who have researched vaccines and who have already decided to file an exemption. It wonâ€™t change the rates of infectious diseases, as the author and sponsors of the bill readily admit that we are well above the rates that they claim are needed to achieve what they call â€śherd immunity.â€ť All it will do is cost the state money and create increased cynicism, anger, and resentment among parents toward legislators, doctors, and schools. This bill will call further into question the integrity of our nationâ€™s entire vaccine program.
8. The state of CA is in financial crisis. This is not a good use of our legislatorsâ€™ time, nor of taxpayersâ€™ money. Implementing this will force the reduction of needed services and programs. It will also open the state up to related lawsuits.
9. Without an easy-to-access exemption, consumers cannot protect themselves from known problems with vaccine mandates. Vaccines are portrayed as, and widely accepted as, safe and effective. A cursory look into vaccines will show that those assumptions are not valid or correct. Since vaccines have proven to be dangerous, even deadly, and since they have often proven to be ineffective, it should be made as easy as possible for a parent to exercise their right to exempt their child from any and all vaccines as they see fit, without government interference, obstacles, harassment, or coercion.
10. The author and sponsors of this bill refuse to require that a doctor must sign the form if a parent pays for the â€ścounseling.â€ť They also refuse to elaborate on and specify what this â€ścounselingâ€ť will include. Therefore, there is rightful suspicion that doctors will not only refuse to sign these forms, but that they will embellish the â€śbenefitsâ€ť of vaccines while not adequately or accurately discussing the serious risks of vaccines.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
Stanford University, 1987, B.A. Human Biology
Founding Family, MIND Institute, UC Davis
Families for Early Autism Treatment Parent Mentor
National Vaccine Information Center Member
Canary Party Member
Parent of 2 Vaccine-Injured Children
Despite the many
worthwhile autism charities desperately in need of funding, Mitsubishi Electric
America Foundation (MEAF) has chosen to fund one that:
all efforts to cure or prevent autism, denies an increase in autism prevalence
and now seeks to promote this form of â€śactivismâ€ť among college students
2) blatantly violates MEAFâ€™s own stated
guideline: â€śWe do not fund
organizations or programs connected with a controversial social or political
issue.â€ť MEAF is funding a â€śneurodiversityâ€ť initiative by ASAN (Autism Self
Advocacy Network) â€“ highy controversial
in the autism community. According to ASAN, â€śThe
training is meant to prepare students to engage in self-advocacy and pro-neurodiversity
activism on their college campuses.â€ť
3) promotes â€śself-diagnosisâ€ť of autism,
causing students who may have the disorder to not qualify for college disability support services and national
testing service accommodations, thus diminishing, not â€śenhancingâ€ť chances for
academic success and future employment.
â€śSelf-diagnosisâ€ť (without medical confirmation) of any disability,
disease or disorder is an irresponsible practice and should not receive
4) does not promote â€śfull inclusion of
people with disabilities alongside their peers without disabilities,â€ť as called
for in Mitsubishi guidelines, but promotes segregation of people with
disabilities in extracurricular activities.
Please see the Canary Party Action Alert below and participate! Weâ€™re all affected by the autism epidemic and
by those who deny it exists and promote irresponsible practices.
An Invitation to our Annual Convention in Minneapolis, MN!
Please forward this invitation to friends, groups, practitioners and others you think would be interested in joining the mission of the Canary Party to reverse the growing man-made epidemics of chronic illness.
Spread the word.
You are cordially invitedâ€¦..
To attend the Canary Party National Convention, July 20 - 22, 2012, at the Hilton Minneapolis. Come meet other like-minded individuals to forge connections and work together to develop strategies for change both nationally and in your state. We must make our issues among those that the Presidential candidates address in order to get elected and stay in office. Come and get educated and organized on how to make an impact in the places that count!
Kindly register before June 20, so we can plan accordingly.
Friday, July 20, Introductions, Meetings, Luncheon, Reception and Film Night
Meet and Greet those who are fighting for the health and health freedom of other Americans, and find out what is happening, and what is going to be happening in the Canary Party.
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Breakout sessions on projects and action items.
Reception, Open Bar -- beer & wine and hors d'oeuvres.
The Greater Good Film looks behind the fear, hype and politics that have polarized the vaccine debate in America today. The film re-frames the emotionally charged issue and offers, for the first time, the opportunity for a rational and scientific discussion on how to create a safer and more effective vaccine program.
Saturday, July 21, Meetings, Luncheon and Dinner
Sessions and breakout meetings continue, including discussions on the foundation of health freedom rights assured in our Constitution.
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Breakout sessions on projects and action items.
6:00pm Dinner and Keynote address
Sunday, July 22, Plan of Action
9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Participants to offer their input on how to best organize and move forward on respective projects.
(Please advise us of special food needs.)
Register for your hotel room by June 27th in order to guarantee Canary Party discounted rate of $139 single/double.
1001 Marquette Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
Phone: 1-612-376-1000 Fax: 1-612-397-4875
Maps & Directions to Hilton Minneapolis